Cataracts are a common eye condition characterized by the clouding of the clear lens of the eyes. People with cataracts describe their vision as blurry vision and say that it is like looking through a fogged-up or frosty window. Most cataracts develop slowly over time and many years may pass before a person notices the first symptoms of this condition. Our team at Orange County Vision Center in Garden Grove would like to take a closer look at cataracts.
What Are The Symptoms?
The most common symptoms of this condition include the following:
- Increased sensitivity to light and glare
- Fading of colors a person sees
- Need to have a brighter light for reading or performing other activities
- Difficulty seeing at night
- Double vision in one of the eyes
- Frequent changes in contact lens or eyeglass prescriptions
The Causes of Cataracts
Age is the most common cause of cataracts. With age, the fibers and proteins in the eye lens start breaking up, which makes vision more blurry and cloudy. Various eye conditions can cause cataracts, as well as health issues and diseases such as diabetes or past eye surgery. If you take steroid medications for an extended period, you may also start having symptoms of cataracts.
Can Cataracts Be Prevented?
Everyone is at risk of cataracts but certain things can be done to reduce your risk. Eye doctors recommend the following tips:
- Go for regular eye examinations. With the help of eye examination, it is possible to catch cataracts early and start treatment immediately,
- Stop smoking. It is good to stop smoking for a variety of reasons and one of them is your eye health.
- Reconsider your nutrition and everyday diet. A healthy diet should include plenty of vegetables and fruits that contain all of the necessary vitamins and healthy minerals.
The only treatment for cataracts is surgery. To decide whether surgery is a good option for you, it is important to talk to your eye doctor.
Visit Orange County Vision Center in Garden Grove, CA
Whether you have cataracts or any other vision issues, our team at Orange County Vision Center is ready to help. We provide quality eye care from routine eye exams and contact lens exams to myopia control and comprehensive eye exams. Call our team today at (714) 894-3353 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.